Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Blog Thoroughly or Don't Blog at All

The subject of this post is stolen from another blog that I read regularly and it made me realize... I've been wanting to blog regularly but made excuses to myself- what do I really have to say? What if I reveal too much? Ect, etc. That one line made me think- what's the point of even having a blog if you're not going to use it? And if you really do want to be a writer then you MUST write. You NEED to write. I can't count how many times I heard that phrase in college.

It's interesting how certain things stay with you- my first non fiction class the professor was awesome- totally open about her own life and gave great writing advice. She told us that after she completed her grad program at Emerson she got really depressed about writing. She was afraid that she couldn't hack it without the workshop environment. It took time but she had to rely on herself to give the good advice and learn to work with editors and (most important) not to take things too personally. It is very true that the workshop environment is an easy "drug" so to speak. You get assignments- you complete them and discuss. Without that kind of routine it's very hard to keep it up on your own( at least for me).

One thing I am kind of proud about is that I didn't stop reading after college. One of the smartest people I have ever encountered (Maria-she's pretty famous in the Emerson College Lit World-trust me) said that in order to write you must read. Not that this is uncommon advice but she could tell me that aliens would come out of my skull and I would probably believe her.

Enough with my "brain storm" on writing. I feel like making a list so below, is a "Cast of Characters" who will probably be regulars in this blog:

Ken- My boyfriend (typical, maybe) but we live together so it's like family. (I hope that doesn't sound creepy)
Mary- Co-worker, friend, and Pisces. If I ever say something like "I don't really remember parts of Saturday night" chances are I was with her.
My Boss- I don't feel the need to mention him by name. Boss sums him up pretty well.
Britt- Dear friend and college roommate who moved to California. Very sad, but we talk online.
Jess- High school best friend. I actually see her once in a while now that I live only 2 hours away from home.
Holly-former co-worker, roommate, and current friend
Shannon- see above, minus roommate
Nina- Cat #1
Keira- Step-cat, Cat #2
Mom, Dad- Self explanatory

PS I plan to delete some of the super depressing/whiny enteries in the very near future. This blog needs a makeover!

1 comment:

Brittany said...

I LOVE YOU AND YOUR BLOG!! FAN 4 LIFE. Nice idea about the makeover. That should get you pumped even more. xo